Thursday, March 21, 2024

Blog 2 - US Supreme Court

 While watching each video, I found it shocking that they did not have the Constitution from 1787 or 1791 when the Bill Of Rights was added. To me, this is surprising because those are the original copies of these documents. Since the first Constitution was written in 1787, I think it is pretty important for them to have those documents on hand. I also thought it was interesting how they had all the documents after the Civil War. Even though I had prior knowledge of this fact, I will always find it interesting how people such as women, Native Americans, African Americans, etc, were not included in the original Constitution as they are now. I enjoyed listening to how RBG explained everything in this video. I always found it interesting how she fought for equal rights. 

Something I learned from this video was that the US Supreme Court gets about 7,000 cases a year to go through. I think it is interesting how people can fight a lower court ruling by going to the Supreme Court. After getting all of these files, I thought it was interesting that they only accept about 100 a year - meaning it is a very tedious process. After this process, they all go through the files and once a week, they will accept or deny the case. I also thought it was interesting that some of these cases are from almost 200 years ago - literally when these people were not alive! 

After watching these videos, I have some final thoughts about the Supreme Court. I really do appreciate all the hard and tedious work that they do. I think it is so interesting how many cases they get a year and they go through every single one of them. Obviously, the Supreme Court plays an incredibly important role in the Government but also in society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship With Technology

Sometimes I like to convince myself that I'm not addicted to my phone, but as I sit here, writing this blog post, my phone is right next...